SEMI COMP+ : Seminar around Europe for the best use of EN 1993-1-1 - Tuesday 15 November 2011
“Design guidance on cross section and member design according to Eurocode 3 with particular focus on semicompact sections”.
The design of a steel structure is a two-step procedure in which the global structural analysis is followed by verifications of cross-sectional resistance and member stability under bending and axial force. During the seminar, the following related topics will be addressed, with close reference to Eurocode 3 Part 1-1: how to extract member from a global structure further to the frame analysis and how to define the consistent set of data required to apply the EC3 beam-column formulae checks accordingly;
- how to carry out the cross-section classification for general design situations and for different section shapes;
- how to apply design formulae for cross-section and/or member resistance.
A special focus will be given to so-called semi-compact cross-sections. Eurocode 3 accounts only for the elastic resistance of those sections while recent research has shown that this is a rather conservative approach. During the seminar, new rules for the design of such sections will be proposed.
- these design provisions have been developed in the RFCS-project “Semi-Comp”, RFSR-CT-2004-00044, for implementation in the next revision of Eurocode 3;
- they allow to exploit higher capacities for a large range of practical section shapes (Isections and rectangular hollow sections) – leading to a more economic design;
- the newly adopted rules follow in principle very close the existing structure of the Eurocode 3-design rules, so that they are simple to use.
The practical use of the proposed design rules will be illustrated in the form of flow-charts and design examples. For daily application, the design software “SEMI-COMP DESIGN” has been developed; it will be presented and distributed during the seminar. This software is freeware. The website “Semi-Comp+” provides all necessary information about the seminar and on the project.
Location: De Montil, Moortelstraat 8 - 1790 Affligem-Essene
Tuesday 15 November 2011 : 12h30 – 17h30
Research Fund for Coal and Steel – Valorisation Project SEMI-COMP+ RFS2-CT-2010-00023